About Coach Devin Payton
Updated Saturday November 2, 2019 by Extreme Sports Group.
Coach Devin Payton was a former professional soccer player in ISISL with Maryland Mania, Carolina Dynamo, and had a short stint with MLS's Tampa Bay before injury ended his soccer playing career. In 2002, Coach Payton was honored to be able to represent his country when he was called up to US Men's Futsal National Team. Coach Payton attended Old Dominion University where he was a freshman first-team All-American selection by Soccer America Magazine. He was a four-year starter at ODU with CAA conference honors three out of four years.
Coach Payton attended Magruder High School and in 1993 was named a Parade and NSCAA All-American as well as "Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year". Devin was also selected to the inaugural "PUMA Cup Tournament", featuring the top high school seniors in the country for both high school boys and girls in youth soccer, and was the Puma Cup's top scorer. His records and picture are featured in the US Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta, NY.
Coaching Background & Accomplishments
- Head Coach, Maryland Rush Montgomery's 2005 & 2006 Boys Ajax Teams, both playing in top EDP & NL divisions. Developed several boys to be nominated and chosen to play in Rush National Select program's President's Day Cup and in Italy's Pro Cup Tournament.
- Coached US Women's 2013 Futsal National team in Burcarmanga Colombia.
- Director of Coaching & Head Coach for St John's College High School women's soccer program. In his first year of coaching, the team won the prestigious WCAC title in 2011. While coaching at St John's College high school, the team was ranked in the top 10 best prep high schools in the nation for women's soccer.
- Head Development Academy Coach with Potomac Soccer Club
- Head & Technical Coach, Olympic Development Program (ODP). In the 2008 to 2009 playing year, Coach Payton set a precedent for Maryland ODP by advancing over 12 players from the 1995 age group to the Region I Pool/Team and 4 players went on to make the U14 US National Pool/Team while 2 secured positions on the U14 National Team. During the following year Coach Payton and his staff achieved even greater rewards for MD ODP system by having 6 players in the 1997 age making the Region I Pool/Team and 3 players making the US National Pool/Team.
Coaching Licenses & Professional Memberships
- Pro B Coaching License from the US Soccer Federation
- National Clinician for US Futsal & Serving on US Futsal's Board of Directors
- VP of Maryland Futsal & Head Clinician and Technical Advisor for Maryland Futsal Clinics
- Special Assistant to the MFL (Major Futsal League)
- Current member of NSCAA & USSF
- In 2008, Coach Payton completed a rigorous training program with world renown Technical trainer, Pierre Labat, from Bordeeaux FC. Coach Labat developed soccer legions such as Zinedine Zidane, Bixente Lizarazu, and Christophe Duggary, all who were members of France's World Cup National team in 1998 and 2002.